27 April 2007

Biggie and Baskerville


Poppa says "Don't MESS with Papyrus, fool. It's ig'nant."

It is well documented that I love a leisurely meal. I believe this tradish stems back to extended- family get togethers/holidays and those blissful Saturday mornings at the SPit (yes, I stand by capitalising the S and P. No need to SHOUT "SPIT" on your away messages, freshman. The SPit is not an acronym; it merely stands for South Campus' version of the Pit), where we ate egg white omelettes and Belgian waffles and hey why not some Lucky Charms™ and "oh my gosh, do they start serving sandwiches this early? oh sure I'll have a BLT and a pickle, thanks."

I still enjoy a good, long meal. Even more so when it is cheap. Even more so when it is delicious. Even more so when it is Thai. Even more so when it is all three. And, even MORE SO, when it is spent with wonderful company who share a fiery hatred of the font Comic Sans like you do.

Davis Street Massive agree with me when it comes to this aformentioned typeface. If you're going to print a menu, a powerpoint presentation, or a pamphlet, get me some SERIFS, SON. I need me some CLASS, some Roman-esque stylings, some, well, GROWN-UP-looking words. I truly think I subconsciously (and now consciously) negate people's intelligence/merit of the content if they use Comic Sans to get it across.

All this complaining about what most (some?) people would see as irrelevant aside... I mean, I know I'm not studying cures for cancer or ways to get Uganda medical aid and HIV drugs and condoms without teaching abstinence-only programs. Still, I think it would be safe to say, people go through their lives subconsciously judging things/books/websites/programs on the way they look, and this has a lot to do with their typefaces. It's true. You simply read a book differently if it's in Futura or Big Caslon. The entire tone shifts.

These typefaces didn't arise from a cultural vacuum; they were (nearly) all invented by Anglo patron of the artsish men from the 15-19th centuries. Why don't we give them a second thought like other kinds of design or works of art? This dude definitely agrees: he has spent a hefty portion of his career loading off Death to Helvetica t-shirts. I quite like his Gingham set. Joo likeyyyy???


Stephen Banham would not be proud.

Similarly, do we blink when Microsoft word uses Times New as its default? It is likely the single worst font to be read on screen; it was invented to squeeze more print into broadsheet newspapers, not to be read on a computer (I recommend going for Palatino as a default font-- so much clearer, my GOSH).

Despite all this brouhaha devoted to the ramifications of fonts, there are many people out there who see the lighter side of what is already (let's face it) a light topic. Big ups to Notorious and some font named after an 18th century white dude coming freakishly together. Don't think twice, it's alright is probably one of the greatest folk songs ever written, and I do like the look of Garamond, but I have to give props when props are due, kids.

Indeed, it's a wonderful feeling in a young woman's life when she has chosen to surround herself with people who let her release her inner-geek, who let her wax grammatical, and who, Lawd in Heaven, agree that Comic Sans is only OK for kindergarten newsletters and small-time circus brochures. And who still totally need her on rock trivia nights for the questions on Public Enemy and the Beastie Boys. I love you, guys.

1 comment:

Alaina said...

i forgot to tell you! daria received a threatening letter from the canadian government, informing her that she owes them money, but as it was written in comic sans she immediately disregarded it.