08 May 2007

Holding out for those conjugal visits

convicted serial killer Carl Williams who will *fingers crossed* leave jail in a pine box (theage)

They say Victoria is called "The Garden State" because there are so many underworld figures buried beneath its soil to make it so green. I'm not so sure that's right-- based on a few theories (not the least of which is the long-term drought and Stage 4 water restrictions we're on at the moment) and the fact that, let's be rilll, it's more of an urban legend. But I will admit I was shocked at the level of violence this state has produced stemming from organised crime.

I saw Chopper when I was 20 in my attempt to view all seminal Aussie movies* during my stint in Adelaide , but I didn't realise how the "Gangland" violence between 1999 and 2003 pervaded the psyche of Melburnians, how 27 people were killed all up, and the fact that one murder occured in front of a youth footy clinic.

Still, apparently some chicks dig these men that were responsible. And not in the AC Slater superficially bad boy sense, but in the Jason from Laguna Beach/Pete Dougherty/drugged out sense bordering on the allure of Tony Soprano/full-on murderer sense. GIRLS! What the crap? I read a long article in Good Weekend last winter about the lawyer Zarah Garde-Wilson and her willingness to help obviously helpless and/or pathetic men. The writer attempted to make sense of why she chose her particularly sordid bedfellows by exploring her past, but when it came right down to it, there was really no satisfying explanation. Normal girl, normal--down right privileged-- upbringing, and straight down the path of low-cut tanks and Louis Vitton sunnies on her way to court to defend a known murderer or drug dealer.

And how did Carl Williams snag the blonde babe while he was in court? His estranged wife is all beanie-wearing/converting to Islam/yelling at everyone/nutbag, and this gorgeous, young blonde girl rocks up to court to lend support to a man about to be sentenced to life? LADIES, WHAT IS THE APPEAL (no court humour pun intended)? Is it Williams' babyface? Is it the stacks of cash buried under the shed? These men are MURDERERS. Nothing more and nothing less.


*The Castle was ticked off at age 17; Picnic at Hanging Rock and Gallipoli (pre anti-Semite Mel) are waiting in the wings; I've physically MET Kenny at the Sunshine cinema (BEAT IT); and I've seen every episode of Kath and Kim (plus special features, deleted scenes, and the telemovie). I could go on, but I feel I have the major films covered.

No comments: