02 May 2007

Oz Music Sampler: Vol. 1 2007

Top 40 in Australia has some interesting darlings: Ne-Yo and Akon seem to consistently crack into the top commercial charts, but no one really gives a crap about Kanye. Carrie Underwood, who? but they love Daughtry and Hinder (excuse me, I think I just threw up in my mouth). On a bit of an anecdote, P!nk (greater Philadelphia's own) has had more number 1 hits in Oz than any other country. And damn girl sure does practice what she ghetto preaches; Housie, Davis Street Massive and some Canberra visitors were graced with her presence while they devoured some delicious chocolate drinks in the city. No, she was not indulging in zee Chocolate Fire; she was getting her fake tan on. The healthy way, I am pleased to report. Tan in a can and no cancer beds. WeSHEW P!nk, I was worried you were gonna go all "Stupid Girls" on me and I would have had to go all Cancer Council on you and remind you that you are not, in fact, Joe Simpson's daughter. Too bad I missed her "mizundastoodness" whilst she and her entourage were in the CBD, as I had to house my chocolate smoothie and scurry off to work.

Regardless, Australia still puts out some great music by their own home-grown. Instead of sending all you, my (mostly) American audience, a heap of Aussie songs at the end of the calendar year, I thought I might throw some examples of songs that are popular here at the moment (or have been in the first quarter of 2007) by Aussie artists. They should all be on Itunes:

20 Good Reasons
Thirsty Merc











They use this for commercials for Lost.

The Others (TV Rock Mix)
Dukes of Windsor









BOYS! LOOKIN fo' LUV! GIRLS! LOOKIN fo' LUV!
This song is so freaking Melbourne.

Straight Lines
Silverchair











Oh midlle school. Oh Daniel Johns. Oh anorexia. Oh that rainforest tree fog that I will always associate with Silverchair. Good news is he's married to Natalia Imbruglia now, seems a lot happier, and his songs sound a lot less angsty.

Lost and Running
Powderfinger









They're baaaaaaaa-aaaaaaaaack!! YAY. Dream Days at the Hotel Existence out 2 June.

Steer
Missy Higgins










One of mah theme songs of LIFE. I love her.

Enjoy, Yanks. I expect some ridiculous hard-core rap in return for my services.

No comments: