01 May 2007

What we do is if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do? Put it up to 11.

These go to 11.

My obsession with Christopher Guest movies is well-known across this vast globe. Ahh yes, I love a good mockumentary. Drop Dead Gorgeous, Confetti, The Office (UK & US), and of course Guest's: This is Spinal Tap, Best in Show, Wating for Guffman, and A Mighty Wind. I have have often asked myself why I find this comedy the funniest of all comedies, and I imagine it has something to do with the euphemism "You can't make this s#$t up." I know mocukmentaries aren't "real," but these directors and writers pull their plots and characters right out of middle America and suburban England and the lack-of-script on Christopher Guest's part (he only provides a rough outline of the plot to the actors) means the dialogue is organic and real and crazy funny. You KNOW you know someone just like Parker Posey in Guffman or you had a boss like David Brent. (Though I believe there is and can only be one Fred Willard. God bless).

Of course, Spinal Tap is credited with being the first to really take off commercially as well as with a cult audience. That is why I am so essited they are reuniting in a short movie and performing in London during the (northern hemisphere) summer for Live Earth. Sam, if you attend, I expect adequate photo documentation. I also just plain love Christopher Guest. I have read interview after interview and he is just so NORMAL. It's very refreshing.

I admire any Hollywood actors who succeed in tha biz without throwing themselves onto red carpet after red carpet and getting divorced 5 times and flying off to St Barths and missing their daughter's dance recital and getting addicted to painkillers and getting botox injections for fun (big ups, Jeff Daniels. Anyone who starts a grassroots theatre company in his hometown gets a check plus in my book. AND you've been married longer than Papa T and Mama K. Good on you).

In a sea of fake, C. Guest is keeping it REAL and has been married to Jamie Lee Curtis for 23 years now. He also maintains his streetcred by using a Spinal Tap photo for his IMDB page. Holla!

[SIDENOTE: Jamie Lee is definitely a hermaphrodite, RIGHT? I mean, she was once, a "transsexual," right, CAMERYN? I'm losing faith in these rumours being realised. We all know how the Nicole Kidman Theory has been kicked to the curb ever since the Hugh v Lindsay and Alaina re: Aussie and English Actors: Who Are More Famous in Hollywood? Debate (April 2007) where we discovered she was born in Honolulu and consequently Olivia's mother's friend's doctor's friend's cousin's nurse no longer can confirm she was born with two genders. This put a major hole in the argument that I so eloquently articulated in The Great Outing of Nicole Kidman As A Hermaphrodite Tram Incident (March 2007). Sigh, the mysteries of our time.

Also: is Eddie Murphy actually the babydaddy of Scary Spice?

1 comment:

Alaina said...

have you checked whether or not olivia's mom's friend's cousin's friend's mother (or whatever) worked in honolulu at the time? maybe she really did attend the birth of a hermaphrodite nicole kidman, just not in sydney like we thought.